Sunday, June 21, 2009

I have a good father

It's fathers day in America, and to me there are two groups of fathers, those that father and those that don't. The latter group gets the most attention. This is because their seeds are out here in the world messing things up. These are the fathers that have unleashed murders, robbers and rapist on our streets.
I think that if these so-called fathers had remotely did their job, our society as a whole would be in a lot better shape than it is. I would love to know the statistic's of the amount of people in prison or on the run that didn't have their fathers in their lives. How many are high school dropouts, drug dealers or just hanging out on corners. It's interesting how many men, who aren't shit, have 3, 4 or 5 children. These men give no support to their children's mothers or society in general. It's crazy. But the mothers have to take some blame in this. Why would a woman have a baby with a man they know isn't shit. This to me, is one of the great questions of our time.
President Obama is a great symbol of fatherhood in America, if the man does nothing, he takes care of his family and holds out a great example of how this father thing is suppose to be done. My own father Ronald, was a very good father and role model. At first a high school dropout, with three children and a 3 year Army stint behind him, he figured it out and made something of hs life. My father had 16 brothers and sisters, but they also had a good mother and father. A father who set a good example for his sons and daughters, a father woke early in the morning and went to work, to feed those 16 children.
My father, after leaving the Army went back and got his high school diploma and after working for years at the local factory, decided that he couldn't support his growing family with the wages of a factory worker. I also think he had had enough of being a lowly factory worker, so at the age of 31, he went and got a college education. The times were the early 70's and black men just didn't do this. Men were happy to be working at the factory, (my dad had 6 brothers working at this factory), back then that was good money. In hindsight it was great money. But he wanted to be an example to his family. So while still working at the factory and cleaning offices at the local Telephone Company at night, he enrolled in college. When I think about it now, I wonder if I could do it, with 5 kids at home. Men like that are a rare breed these days. My father graduated from college four years later and through the new affirmative action laws that were just put in place, was recruited out of college to be a executive for the John Deere Company.
I can only tell you-things changed in our families lives drasticly. We lived good before, always had a new car in the driveway, always were homeowners. But when my dad graduated college we went to the next level. The sense of pride are family felt when my father was transferred to another town and we moved into our 'new' house was off the charts. The house-complete with underground swimming pool was a amazing thing. Nobody black or white we knew had a 'underground' pool, or to our knowledge a indoor grill, like the one we had, amazing stuff for kids from Davenpot Iowa. Truly Amazing !
This to me is what a father is, that's all I know, fathers that do big things. So when I see these cats that can barely visit their children or who drop bullshit gifts off on Christmas and Birthdays and then brag about being fathers, I think to myself, dude I have someone you should meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment