Sunday, June 14, 2009

Health of Elections

I've been cooking breakfast and listening to the morning news shows. Health care and the Iranian election are the news du jour. I spoke about health care last last time I wrote in this blog, I want to clear my stance on 'health care for all'. I'm not against it, I think it's needed, there are a lot of people out there paying outrageous premiums for themselves and there families. There needs to be a solution on the horizon. My problem is that I want there to still be a private insurance market that can compete with the public option that people will be offered.

This has to be watched carefully. Do I like that this is the Rethuglican stance- no, not really, but so be it. More and more, I hear pundits speaking about the Massachusetts Insurance Plan. This is where the American people are covered by private sector insurance companies and the Government kind of subsidizes citizens in getting their own plan and are basically mandated to do so. In Massachusetts 98% of the citizens are insured and the premiums have been cut in half. I can live with that. But we have to make sure that we create more competition amongst insurers not less.
Earlier last week (June 7th) the Lebanese Christians defeated Hezbollah in the general elections there. A surprise for the Obama Administration. Some believe that this was do in part to the speech that President Obama delivered in Cairo Egypt earlier this month. The speech by the American President lit a fire under the youth and intellectual crowd in Lebanon, enough to defeat the favored Hezbollah Party. This leads me to the Iranian elections, first off, in the Iranian election process, candidates are only able to campaign for 2 weeks prior to the vote. So over the past couple of weeks incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has had his hands full with his challenger Mir-Hossein Mousavi they've called each other everything but a child of Mohammad. In the end Ahmadinejad stole the election from his challenger declaring victory with only 40% of the vote counted. This election had the largest turnout of voters ever in a Iranian election. People need to realize that 70 to 80 percent of the Iranian people are under 27 years old. A young country.

Just like in our recent American elections the Obama Administration was hoping the youth could deliver a different regime over there. It wasn't to be, but they (Obama) stills sees a opening concerning these elections. I predict they will try to discredit the election outcome and declare that Ahmadinejad stole the election, maybe creating some unrest in Iran, maybe even a coo, maybe some blood gets spilled, maybe someone kills Ahmadinejad. Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment